Monday, 2 February 2015

Something Sweet, Something Healthy and A Smoothie - Recipes



More food! Yay, I love writing these posts, they encourage me to cook more often.

Something Healthy:

This recipe is not necessarily healthy as in low carbs, it is more healthy for what it contains (if that makes sense).


Protein Pancakes:

Ingredients: (makes about 10)

  • 180g plain flour
  • A few table spoons of sugar (optional, I just put one and a half tablespoons in, but I don't think you need it)
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • A pinch of salt
  • 300ml almond milk (less depending how you thick you want the pancakes)
  • 75g chunky peanut butter
  • 1 teaspoon peanut oil, vegetable oil or sunflower oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 eggs
To Make:
  1. Combine the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in a bowl. 
  2. Combine milk, peanut butter, oil, vanilla and eggs together and add to mixture.
  3.  Stir until smooth (except for peanut chunks of course)! 
  4. Spoon desired amount of mixture onto a hot non stick/greased pan. My mixture was quite thick, so I made small-ish American style pancakes.
  5. Flip pancake when tops are bubbling and cook until both sides are golden brown.
  6. Repeat for each pancake.
As you can see, I had my pancakes with raspberries and also squeezed some lime juice on them (lemon juice would be fine, I didn't have any). These were delicious, very filling and packed a good amount of protein.

Something Sweet:

Coffee Cupcakes:

Ingredients: (makes about 24)

Cupcakes:
  • 110g unsalted butter
  • 110g demerara sugar
  • 120g light brown soft sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 125g self raising flour, sifted
  • 120g plain flour, sifted
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon espresso powder
  • 125ml semi-skimmed milk
Icing:
  • 15og unsalted butter
  • 1 tablespoon semi-skimmed milk
  • 2 teaspoons espresso powder
  • 350g icing sugar
To Make: (cupcakes)
  1. Line two 12-hole muffin trays with cupcake cases and preheat oven to 170c.
  2. Cream butter and sugars together until smooth.
  3. Add eggs, one by one, mixing after each egg.
  4. Combine flours in a separate bowl. Don't skip sifting! I always thought it was such a useless step, but my mum told me it does something like put air into the flour, which helps your cakes to rise.
  5. Combine milk, vanilla extract and espresso powder separately.
  6. Add a bit of the flour to original mixture and mix. 
  7. Pour in a bit of the milk and mix.
  8. Repeat this until all flour and milk mixture has been added.
  9. Spoon mixture into cupcake cases. Don't fill them to the top, about half to two thirds full. You should have enough mixture for 24 cakes (unless you want to make giant/mini ones of course)!
  10. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, timing is always difficult as it depends on your oven, so make sure to check on them!
  11. Leave to cool a bit before icing, I think it makes it easier.
To Make: (icing)
  1. Combine butter, milk, espresso powder and half the icing sugar.
  2. Mix until smooth.
  3. Add remaining icing sugar gradually and mix until desired consistency.
  4. Ice cupcakes!
These were so good. I mean, you might not like them if you dislike coffee, but seriously they're so good. 

A Smoothie:

Ingredients: (serves one)
  • Handful/couple of handfuls of spinach
  • 240ml almond milk
  • Couple of handful of blueberries
  • 1 banana
  • 1 kiwi
To Make:

As always, blend the ingredients! Start with the spinach and almond milk then add everything else!

I really love the taste of this smoothie but the first time I made it I had no bananas meaning it was very liquid-y. I added some too much yoghurt, which didn't particularly help, so definitely add banana or a banana substitute - avocados are pretty good!

3 comments:

  1. very nice kirsty:) I will most definitely try out the smoothie recipe, I love your blog btw X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you emmaaaa, I love yours too X

    ReplyDelete
  3. these all look delicious, will definitely be trying all over half term! xx

    efflorescenceanddreams.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe