Monday, 5 January 2015

Something Healthy, Something Sweet - Recipes


I've decided to start another weekly/biweekly (I'm undecided) edit and keep it going. Wishful thinking I know but I'm really going to try!
Anyway, (I really overuse this word its becoming ridiculous) this one is a bit different, it's food orientated! Every week (or every
other week) I'm going to give you lot two recipes; one healthy recipe, expect a lot of smoothies I'm obsessed, and one not-so healthy recipe.
So here goes.

Something healthy:
This year, for my birthday, I received the Kenwood Smoothie To Go Blender. This is quite a cheap blender but it works well. My sister also got me this To Go Jar for Christmas, which is just so cute for drinking smoothies out of.

Strawberry and Mango Smoothie: 

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup almond milk 
  • 1/2 cup mango 
  • 1/2 cup strawberries
  • a few drops of vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon agave
  • 1/2 cup ice (optional, I didn't add ice but if you want to make your smoothie colder than just add some crushed/blended)
To Make:
Just blend all the ingredients together and voila! As my blender is small I started by blending the mango and almond milk together and then went on to add in the other ingredients.
On to my 'something sweet':

This recipe comes from my all-time favourite blogger Lily Pebbles. They're called "Brookies" meaning brownie-cookies as they look more like cookies but have a brownie-like texture. Honestly, these are delicious, I can't express how could they are, you'll just have to see for yourself.

Brookies:

Ingredients:
  • 85g cocoa powder
  • 400g caster sugar 
  • 125ml sunflower/vegetable oil
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 250g plain flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • pinch of salt
  • 60g icing sugar
To Make:
  1. Firstly, line baking trays and preheat oven to 180c.
  2. Mix together cocoa powder, caster sugar and oil.
  3. Beat in eggs and vanilla extract and mix until smooth.
  4. Combine flour, baking powder and salt and then gradually add to mixture until even and smooth. (It's recommended to put the mixture in the fridge for a few hours now but I'm way too impatient for that so I didn't and they still turned out amazingly).
  5. Pour icing sugar onto a plate and then use a metal teaspoon to spoon and roll the mixture into balls (mine were roughly a teaspoon) and coat in icing sugar. 
  6. Place on to trays with reasonable space in between each (shown below) and cook in the oven for 10-12 minutes. Make sure to check!
  7. Leave to cool and enjoy!
After cooking.



2 comments:

  1. Lovely post although I am now incredibly hungry and want a smoothie!

    anotherteenontheweb.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I felt the same whilst writing this post!

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe