Monday, 19 January 2015

Something Sweet, Something Healthy and A Smoothie - Recipes


Firstly, yes I decided that I would do my foodie post on a biweekly basis and secondly, yes I changed it a bit. That seems to be a common theme with my series - I get bored fairly easily and am VERY indecisive.
I realised this week that, with my love of smoothies, my "something healthy" was going to end up being a smoothie recipe 9 out of 10
times, so I decided I'd add smoothies as a separate category. Hope you enjoy the recipes for this week, definitely give them a go!

Something Healthy (well, kind of):

I honestly think I could have made this recipe a lot healthier than I did, but I think it would be quite easy to modify and it's quick and delicious.
I needed something that I could make and then leave overnight to take with me to school.
My go-to was, of course, pasta.

Simple Tomato Sauce with Pasta:

Ingredients: (1 portion)
  • 90g of pasta - I used normal penne pasta, but I would recommend wholegrain to make it healthier.
  • 1/4 can tinned tomatoes or roughly 230g of fresh tomatoes (peeled and cored) 
  • 1 and a bit (roughly a quarter) tablespoons butter
  • 1/2 an onion (peeled)
  • Basil (I didn't use basil as I didn't have any, it was still lovely but I would definitely add it next time for the extra flavour)
To Make:

Pasta:
  1. Fill half a medium saucepan with water and bring to boil.
  2. Add pasta to boiling water and cook for the time on packet (usually about 10 minutes).
  3. When cooked, drain the pasta and serve.
Sauce:
  1. Put the tomatoes, butter, and onion in a medium saucepan.
  2. Bring the sauce to boil, then lower the heat to simmer.
  3. Cook for 15 minutes or so, until tomato juices separate from butter.
  4. Remove onions.
  5. Personally, I like tomato sauce with a fair amount of chunks, but if you don't, you can blend the sauce to get rid of large tomato chunks.
  6. Season and serve with the pasta!
My cute little lunch container.

Something Sweet:

Again, this is "kind of" as it really depends how you make and serve this! I was really craving french toast for some reason, I genuinely haven't had it in about 5 years, so I thought, why not?

French Toast:

Ingredients:
  • Bread (any type) quantity depends on how hungry you're feeling!
  • 1 egg per 2 slices of bread
  • Butter or olive oil
  • Sprinkle of ground cinnamon
  • Sprinkle of sugar 
  • Few drops of vanilla essence
  • Milk 2 tablespoons per egg
  • Toppings of your choice!
To Make:
  1. Crack eggs into a mixing bowl.
  2. Add milk, vanilla essence and cinnamon.
  3. Beat together.
  4. Set stove to medium/high heat, place a small/medium pan over the burner and add butter or oil. Spread butter/oil around so that it covers the pan (this is to ensure the bread will not stick).
  5. When the pan is hot, pour of any excess butter/oil and turn the heat down to low/medium.
  6. Dip the bread into the mixture and coat it on both sides.
  7. Place bread on pan and cook each side until golden. Sprinkle sugar on the bread to create a layer of caramelised sugar.
  8. Put toast on a plate.
  9. Repeat steps 6 through 8 for each slice of bread.
  10. Serve on its own or with toppings of your choice. I had one slice with syrup - lovely, but I can only manage one as it's very sweet!
This is a lovely recipe for a weekend breakfast treat!

A Smoothie:

AKA my addiction.

Not-so-green Smoothie:

Ingredients: (serves one)

  • Handful of spinach
  • 240ml almond milk
  • Handful of blueberries
  • Handful of strawberries (about 5)
  • 1/2 - a whole banana

To Make:

As with all my smoothies, just blend up the ingredients! I would start with the almond milk and spinach, and then add everything else. I know spinach seems like a weird ingredient, but trust me this is SO good! I hate spinach, but you can't taste it at all and it's such a good source of iron and other crucial vitamins and minerals. Experiment with the ingredients a bit until you find your perfect quantities. 

5 comments:

  1. I want to try green smoothies as long as i can't taste them :)

    Emily

    http://idontknxw.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would definitely recommend trying one out! I honestly hate spinach so much so I was very nervous to try it out and first, but then I just went for it and you honestly can't taste it at all! Maybe start small and just put a few leaves in?X

    ReplyDelete
  3. These all look delish! You've got me craving french toast now :) x

    Love and Marmalade

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha thanks! And, I know, that's exactly how I felt before I made it!x

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe